Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I hope you all are doing well..!! I am leasing a property…

Customer Question
Hi I hope you all...
Hi I hope you all are doing well..!!
I am leasing a property and I have a 1 year contract lease. I live in Novato Marin County California. I just moved in 3 months ago my contract ends on November 2016. If by any reason I need to move out and I cannot continue this one year contract what will happen? what would be my situation in this case? Am I forced to pay the rent until the contract ends? will I lose my deposit.? can I find someone who can move in here, someone who can take my place? someone who's able to pay my rent..
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/9/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, if you leave prior to the end of the lease, you would be in breach of contract and liable to pay either penalties specified in the lease, including loss of your deposit, and/or they could make you pay the remaining months on the lease.
You can seek to find someone to take over the lease for you or sublease the premises if it is not prohibited by the lease. If you sublease, then you would remain liable under the lease if they do not pay. If you get the landlord to agree to letting someone else take over the lease then they would sign a new lease with the landlord and relieve you from further obligations under the lease and the new tenant would pay you the amount of your deposit and would have to get any deposit back from the landlord when they move.