How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved into rental house and I pay $875. When I moved in I

Customer Question

I moved into rental house and I pay $875 for rent. When I moved in I gave a property manager a list of things that needed to be fixed. He never fixed the mold AC, wood rot in kitchen, caulking in bathroom, and painting. I did some of it myself for around $300. I have lived here for 3 years and 8 months. After I move, can I get some of my rent back?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

This isn't rent money, but you can sue your landlord to try to recover these damages that the landlord should have fixed, and to force them to repair any remaining issues that they should have fixed.

This is a small claims matter, and should be resolved relatively quickly, most reach hearing/trial within 2-4 months of filing. (also look for your local county court's website, most FL counties have specific information that includes forms and detailed instructions to help citizens with these claims).

However, for the dollar amount, you may also want to look into mediation (most communities have landlord/tenant mediation services, you can contact your local bar association to see what services are available), and try to resolve this short of going to small claims court.

Related Real Estate Law Questions