Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a porch that is L shaped and wraps around my condo.

Customer Question
the porch is cracked in...
I have a porch that is L shaped and wraps around my condo. the porch is cracked in several places and is slanting away from the condo so that it makes it difficult to walk. Also, the privacy fence is falling apart with rusted nails and rotten wood. The property management company keeps sending a repair company to fix it and keeps doing shotty work. Do i have the right to find my own company's to do the work right once and for all?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/8/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Irwin Law, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer

Do i have the right to find my own company's to do the work right once and for all?

Without reading your bylaws, or covenants, I swtrongly suspect that you do not have the legal right to do so. If you do so , You can expect a dispute with your association and the management company. Therefore, it would be a good idea to obtain the approval of the management company, especially if you expect them to pay for all or any part of it. Also, the management company may balk at having other contractors who are outside of their control performing services on the property. Other residents may think that the management company is repairing your condo but not theirs. This is definitely one of those "pay your money and take your chances" areas.