Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have an issue with my HOA. I have been paying my dues

Customer Question
i have an issue with...
i have an issue with my HOA. I have been paying my dues quarterly for several years now. Some time ago 2 yrs they switched to semiannual. I continued to p[ay quarterly. They have now returned all mu quarterly payments and have turned me over to collection charging me a health late penalty.
I am willing to pay them !00% of what the actually dues are but they refuse.
help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/8/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. Did the board properly amend the governing documents to change the payments to semiannual? Did they provide the required notice as set out in your governing documents to the owners? If they did amend the governing documents properly when did they stop taking your checks? There are required notices to owners that are considered delinquent on their HOA dues and if the board did not follow proper procedures you have an action against the board.

I could see if you were paying annually, this seems a little ridiculous.

Which county in Texas is your property located in?