Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I own my own condo and my next door neighbor also owns s…

Customer Question
I own my own condo...
I own my own condo and my next door neighbor also owns his condo. He has reported to our Homeowners Assoc. about my smoking. My question is Can I be evicted because of smoking in my own home?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/7/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: J. Warren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Unless there is a written restriction with regards ***** ***** that grants an HOA authority to foreclose for violation, an HOA may not evict a person from their own property. It is possible to face fines under a broad "nuisance" provision in the CC&R's and perhaps a private nuisance claim by the other owner, but not eviction.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (3 stars or more). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

J. Warren
J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer