Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Our home has been experiencing issues with the smell of

Customer Question
sewer gas entering our home...
Our home has been experiencing issues with the smell of sewer gas entering our home. Recently we discovered that one of our neighbors has sewer access, including a concrete tunnel and manhole constructed on his front lawn, right next to the public manhole to the sewer main. We are concerned that this setup may have something to do with the sewer gas issue we are experiencing. We would like to know whether or not it's legal for a private resident to have their own personal access to the public sewer in this manner.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/7/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

No, under Georgia law, a private resident should not have access to the sewer in the manner you describe. That would be illegal. I suggest that you report it to the city for investigation and prosecution for violation of law.

You should also have the city investigate and determine the source of the smell.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.