Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Does a landlord have to pay interest to a tenant on their…

Customer Question
does a landlord have to...
does a landlord have to pay interest to a tenant on their deposit and if so, what percent is the usual percent paid?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/6/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
RealEstateAnswer

Yes. If the building has six or more units the landlord must pay interest, if any, on your security deposit. The owner may keep one percent of the deposit amount each year as an administrative fee. If the building has fewer than six units and the owner deposits the security in a bank, the interest also belongs to the tenant, less one percent for administration.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

MUST A LANDLORD HAVE A GRACE PERIOD OR CAN IT BE INDIVIDUALLY HANDLED IN OTHER WAYS. ps YOU WENT SO FAST THAT I NEVER GOT THE ANSWER TO MY ORIGINAL QUESTION ABOUT INTEREST ON DEPOSIT.-- PLEASE GIVE ME THE ANSWER OR I WILL CANCEL - CAN'T PAY FOR NOTHING...........

Not to worry. I am happy to answer all your questions. Can you please expand and clarify on the grace period? I am not sure I understand. Do you mean if the landlord did not do this and now the tenant wants their interest?

Real Estate Lawyer: Joycelaw, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

Do you still want a live phone call?