Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I signed a kitchen remodel contract with Home Depot but they

Customer Question
don't finish the job. They...
I signed a kitchen remodel contract with Home Depot but they don't finish the job. They barely answer the phone, find all kind of problems and excuses but no progress.
They took my kitchen apart and I am without a sink since 2 weeks. I may need a lawyer to force them to move on.
(This is in Vero Beach Florida).
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/5/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Richard, Lawyer

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Since they've not finished the job and won't respond, you want to raise the stakes on them. .First, get an estimate from another contractor of the cost to properly finish the job. Then, send Home Depot a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history, terminating the contract due to their default, and demand that they pay you an amount of money so that when the other contractor completes the job, you have paid in total no more than you would have paid Home Depot had they completed the job. Inform Home Depot that if they do not comply with your demand within a short specified period of time, you will have no choice but to file a suit against him for your damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as gross negligence, fraud and deceptive trade practice causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Even if you have to file the suit, that's likely all you will need do. In my experience, they will settle this without a hearing rather than risk punitive damages and the judgments being on their record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Lawyer