Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

What is the General Excise License in Hawaii?

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/4/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA .Ray here to help you today.

I am assuming that you want a license to prepare General Excise Tax (GET) Returns

You can apply for it here online, there is a $20 fee.

http://tax.hawaii.gov/geninfo/get/

The base rate for the GET is currently 4% of gross sales (as of 4/11/2013). In the City and County of Honolulu aka Oahu, the rate is 4.5%. The extra .5% for Oahu is to help pay for the mass-transit rail project on Oahu. Also, anyone conducting business on Oahu or has a “physical presence” on Oahu has to pay the extra .5%.

For example, if you’re renting out apartments in Oahu and Maui, you’ll be paying 4% GET on the Maui apartments and 4.5% on the Oahu apartments.

These are the forms and fee too apply for a GET license, the rates above are the get rates..

http://files.hawaii.gov/tax/legal/taxfacts/tf2015-31-1.pdf

More for you here on collecting Get from your customers, etc.

http://www.ronswebsite.com/blog/hawaii-general-excise-tax/

I wasn't clear here if you are just a new business, you GET forms to apply, also there are forms if you are wanting to prepare returns.Either way I gave you all of this including how to charge customers the GET as an add on for retail.

Aloha , let me know if you have more, thanks again.