How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31765
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My neice, nephew and I inheratid a house from my mother.

Customer Question

My neice, nephew and I inheratid a house from my mother. She, my mother, left my sister as executor. Things are transferred and my sister's name is ***** ***** documents (house owner, taxes) and she is giving the bills to us.
I've asked for a copy of the will and probate number, she refuses.
Is this legal?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If your mom's estate has been opened for probate, then you should be able to get a copy of the will from the probate court clerk as the will would have to be filed in order to open the case.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If that has not occurred, then you would be entitled to a copy of the will as an immediate relative and beneficiary......if your sister will not give a copy to you, then you could file a petition in court and ask the judge to compel her to produce a copy of the will to you and/or the original for inspection. Once the court orders her to produce the will, she won't have a choice.