Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I bought a house 12/31/2012 with clear title search and

Customer Question
taxes paid. I received...
I bought a house 12/31/2012 with clear title search and taxes paid. I received a letter last week stating that I owe delinquent taxes from 2008 and 2009. Apparently, the previous owners combined two parcels (including delinquent tax parcel) at that time to make the new parcel that I bought in 2012. They paid the 2010-2012 on the new parcel that I bought. I am up to date with my property taxes. If there was a mistake made by the county tax collector, should not the prior owners pay since they owned the house from2006-2012? Florida law 7.5.4 states all ad valorem taxes, including delinquent taxes are due and payable by the grantor must be collected or paid at or before closing. This was not disclosed at the time of closing.
Bobby Harrison
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/4/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

If you purchased a title policy you need to contact the title company.They certified the taxes were current and this is their error.They need to pay the taxes and resolve it.They may go after former owners but it is title company error.When a title policy is involved they obtain certificates from the tax assessor showing property taxes are current and no arrears.

So again call them as your first step here.The taxes go with the property not the owner so you need them to pay here or you will have to.The tax assessor can foreclose on the property if they are not brought current.You state there was a clear title search, I am assuming you bought an actual policy here.IF you did again the title company is liable as this is their error and they should pay them.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've contacted title company, but no response yet.

This is their error.Follow up with email or a letter to them giving them reference here, if you have a policy number , closing date etc.is the best you can do.Stay after them, they are quick to take your money and slow to respond but they have liability here because they told you everything was current.

I worked for a large title company is hassled enough they will have to pay these.Please don't give up.Thanks.

Ray, Lawyer