Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My father died 3 years ago, he left the house to s children…

Customer Question
My father died 3 years...
My father died 3 years ago, he left the house to his children but thru a deed of assent his wife lived in the house, she left and the deed was then recorded in 4 siblings name. My brother now is wanting to change the lot demensions recorded in that deed to give him what he says our father wanted him to have (55 feet). Can he change this deed without each of our permission. What does he need to have the lots changed?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/4/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Roger, Lawyer

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Your brother cannot change the lot dimensions or anything about the ownership of the property unless all owners consent to the change.

If everyone is agreeable to this, then you'd likely need a survey to specify the property in question that is being transferred.....then all owners would need to issue a deed to him for the area in question.

However, if each owner doesn't agree, then he can't acquire or take this additional property.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks!

Roger, Lawyer