How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need a expert in billboard laws and Easements form the

Customer Question

I need a expert in billboard laws and Easements form the state of Indiana
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes I recently purchased a property from a bankruptcy court and the property has a billboard on it. the bankruptcy court gave me a bill of sale for the billboard but they also gave me a copy of a billboard lease in witch it has another year on the lease. so I need to know weather I own the physical pole or just the lease right and I would like to grant myself an easement to the billboard property and sell the remainder.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
As the servient landowner, you do not own the pole or the billboard, you just own the land subject to the lease. You can grant yourself an easement to the billboard and sell the property subject to that easement if you choose to do so. All that would give you is a right to access the billboard across the property.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the billboard company owns the pole and if they don't have a recorded easement to the board what position do they hold.
this property was sold to a group of investors and they went bankrupt. does the bankruptcy eliminate any easements? and the property is behind on property taxes. they granted me a quitclaim deed if I grant myself an easement and it goes for tax sale can that easement be wiped off
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Even if they have no recorded easement, you say they have a lease which you have a copy of. So they have a right to access the billboard. The bankruptcy would not eliminate any easements because an easement sticks with the land and not the owners. The only way to remove the easement is a lawsuit in court to prove the easement is abandoned or being misused.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a lot more issues with more properties with easements I really need to make sure I am nit wasting your time or mine and my money. one of my parcels a government entity wants to take it with eminent domain. so I need a all around expert in Easements,billboards and eminent domain foe Indiana.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry, but looking at your site history, it seems you may have the same misunderstanding as many customers on this site in that the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thus so far none of the experts who have spent time with you have received any credit for their time and this can impact your ability to get answers in the future. Thank you for your understanding.
This is now a brand new question when the expert has not even received credit for the first exchange. Please do not forget to leave the expert positive feedback and your new question about eminent domain is supposed to be posted in a brand new question by site rules.
Also, I am a real estate law expert, which would include easements, eminent domain, land use, adverse possession etc.

Related Real Estate Law Questions