Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I need a expert in billboard laws and Easements form the…

Customer Question
I need a expert...

I need a expert in billboard laws and Easements form the state of Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Yes I recently purchased a property from a bankruptcy court and the property has a billboard on it. the bankruptcy court gave me a bill of sale for the billboard but they also gave me a copy of a billboard lease in witch it has another year on the lease. so I need to know weather I own the physical pole or just the lease right and I would like to grant myself an easement to the billboard property and sell the remainder.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/3/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
As the servient landowner, you do not own the pole or the billboard, you just own the land subject to the lease. You can grant yourself an easement to the billboard and sell the property subject to that easement if you choose to do so. All that would give you is a right to access the billboard across the property.
if the billboard company owns the pole and if they don't have a recorded easement to the board what position do they hold.
this property was sold to a group of investors and they went bankrupt. does the bankruptcy eliminate any easements? and the property is behind on property taxes. they granted me a quitclaim deed if I grant myself an easement and it goes for tax sale can that easement be wiped off
Thank you for your reply.
Even if they have no recorded easement, you say they have a lease which you have a copy of. So they have a right to access the billboard. The bankruptcy would not eliminate any easements because an easement sticks with the land and not the owners. The only way to remove the easement is a lawsuit in court to prove the easement is abandoned or being misused.
I have a lot more issues with more properties with easements I really need to make sure I am nit wasting your time or mine and my money. one of my parcels a government entity wants to take it with eminent domain. so I need a all around expert in Easements,billboards and eminent domain foe Indiana.
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry, but looking at your site history, it seems you may have the same misunderstanding as many customers on this site in that the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thus so far none of the experts who have spent time with you have received any credit for their time and this can impact your ability to get answers in the future. Thank you for your understanding.
This is now a brand new question when the expert has not even received credit for the first exchange. Please do not forget to leave the expert positive feedback and your new question about eminent domain is supposed to be posted in a brand new question by site rules.
Also, I am a real estate law expert, which would include easements, eminent domain, land use, adverse possession etc.