WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

I had a cleaning service clean my home to get in ready to go

Customer Question

I had a cleaning service clean my home to get in ready to go on the market. I told they specifically things that needed to be done and in the end several tasks were not completed. I live in SC. I stopped payment on the $150 check. I asked if we could adjust the amount and the owner refused saying she will contact her lawyer and put a lien on my home? We had no written contract only verbal. Is this even possible?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

No, the owner cannot put a lien on your house without first filing a lawsuit against you and then winning the lawsuit and having the court enter a judgment against you Once the judgment is entered by the court, she can have the judgment recorded against the property.

However, as soon as she files a lawsuit she has to serve you with legal papers and you have the right to go into the court and tell the judge why she is wrong.

If you think she is going to go through all of that for a 150 dollar dispute, it is clear she is out of her mind and it will cost her more to do that lawsuit and she is likely to lose anyhow once you tell the judge your side of the story.

It is very unlikely she will get to the stage of filing a lien against your house.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.