Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I OWE A BALANCE ON AN UNSECURED CREDIT BALANCE, A SUMMONS…

Customer Question
I OWE A BALANCE ON...
I OWE A BALANCE ON AN UNSECURED CREDIT BALANCE, A SUMMONS WAS LEFT ON MY DOOR STEP TO APPEAR IN COURT, SHOULD HONOR THIS I'M 73 DON;T OWN ANYTHING, WHAT HAPPENS IF I GOT. WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON'T .
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/1/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma.

The question will be assets. Do you have income from a source other than social security? OR do you have "money in the bank"?

NO OTHER INCOME JUST VERY LOW SOCIAL SEC $571.00 MONTH. & A C/D IN THE BANK. WHICH I HAVE USED TO HELP LIVE ON, SHOULD I PUT IN MY HUSBAND/SON NAME. CAN THEY GARINSH THIS OR MY SOCIAL SECURITY OTHER THAN THIS I HAVE NO OTHER INCOME..

THanks

How much is the CD ?

THE MONEY IN THE BANK IS NOT A/D ITS ASAVING ACCOUNT,

sorry... what is A/D

And how much money is in the bank?

$30K IN A BANK SAVINGS ACCOUNT.

Thanks

That is a problem.

They can seek to attach (take) the money from that account if they receive a judgment.

Should you go to court?

Frankly, that will not likely help you...that would just allow them to charge more in attorney fees

But I would try and negotiate a settlement...since they are going to be able to get an order to take money from that account to pay the judgment they will get in court

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

IS IT IN MY BEST INTREST TO GO TO COURTOR NOT TO GO? THANK YOU

Best to not go (since if you go they will charge you the lawyers fees)

But best to contact and negotiate a settlement...since they are going to take the money in that bank account if you do not settle this.

Hi

Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer. I am happy to provide an answer for you...but want to ensure you are willing to rate/accept the answer when we complete. Do you agree with this?