How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37380
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2007 myself and my siblings acquired our parents home via

Customer Question

In 2007 myself and my siblings acquired our parents home via a quick claims deed. In 2015 we sold that house. Do we need to claim that money on our 2015 taxes? The home was sold for $274,000 and less fees 224,000 was received. The home is in Minnesota
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.


You would each have to claim a portion of the capital gains taxes on your income tax returns as long term capital gains taxes and pay any applicable tax on them. The amount of capital gains would be based on what the house was assessed at in 2007 when you received it.


So for example, if it was worth $200K in 2007 and you sold it for $224 net in 2015, then you have $24K in gains that would be divided up among the siblings and then long term capital gains taxes paid on that.





Related Real Estate Law Questions