Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

I purchase a four unit rental property but I found out that

Customer Question

I purchase a four unit rental property but I found out that one unit is unpermitted can I file a claim with the tile company I have tile insurance for four units
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Can you describe what you mean by "unpermitted"? Also, how was this problem brought to your attention?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fourth unit has no city of Los Angeles building permit
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Title insurance companies will typically deny such a claim on the grounds that unless someone challenges your title to the property itself, they are not pay liable to pay a hypothetical claim. The building owner may be subject to a fine, or the problem may be easily corrected by obtaining a retroactive building permit for the unit and complying with the code. That is an area for a zoning specialist to look into before you try to resell or remortgage the property down the road. Such costs of correction may be covered under the title policy so you may wish to obtain an opinion from them on that.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I hope that my Answer has been helpful. If you need more information, please send me a Reply. If not, I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my Answer By clicking on 3, 4, or 5, so that I can receive credit for assisting you. There is no additional charge for doing so. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my Answer by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.