Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mom has a tax lien foreclosure on her home, there's a…

Customer Question
My mom has a tax...
My mom has a tax lien foreclosure on her home, there's a sale date scheduled for March 15, 2016. She filed bankruptcy chapter 13 but was unable to keep up with the payments because she became ill. I want to know if there's anything that can be done to stop the sale while she applies for a reverse mortgage to back off the lien
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/29/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, the only thing that can be done is someone has to step up and make a payment, which would stop the sale or try to file bankruptcy converting her Ch. 13 to Ch.7. Outside of paying the bill for the tax lien, I am afraid that because of the tax lien and not being able to keep up with the bankruptcy payments, this will be tough. If she files to convert the Ch. 13 to Ch. 7 bankruptcy, that may delay the foreclosure, but it is not going to stop the foreclosure and it may make getting the reverse mortgage difficult as well. So those are really your only two options.
Once the house is auctioned does she have a certain amount of days to try and get the house back
Thank you for your reply.
Once the actual sale occurs in NY there is no right of redemption after that point in time.
Please remember to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.