Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Does the Board of Directors of a facility under the Texas

Customer Question
Condominium Act have the authority...
Does the Board of Directors of a facility under the Texas Condominium Act have the authority to force all owners to purchase a specific insurance policy covering their individual property within the condominium?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/28/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

The board has the authority to procure insurance from one company.You are not precluded from getting more coverage..

Law here..

PROPERTY CODE

TITLE 7. CONDOMINIUMS

CHAPTER 81. CONDOMINIUMS CREATED BEFORE ADOPTION OF UNIFORM CONDOMINIUM ACT

SUBCHAPTER A. PROVISIONS GENERALLY APPLICABLE TO CONDOMINIUMS

Sec. 81.205. INSURANCE. (a) By resolution of a majority of the council of owners or in the manner provided or required by the declaration or bylaws, the council of owners may acquire the insurance it deems appropriate for the protection of the buildings and the apartment owners.

(b) Insurance may be written in the name of the council of owners, or in the name of a person designated in the declaration or bylaws, as trustee for the apartment owners and their mortgagees. Each apartment owner and mortgagee of an apartment owner is a beneficiary of the policy, whether named as a beneficiary or not, in proportion to the interest of an apartment owner in the condominium regime as established by the declaration.

(c) The acquisition of insurance by the council of owners does not prejudice the right of an apartment owner in a condominium regime to obtain insurance for the apartment owner's own benefit.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PR/htm/PR.81.htm

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate when we are done it is always sincerely ***** ***** again.

Ray, Lawyer