Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am a 100% disabled veteran from injuries in Vietnam. I was…

Customer Question
Hello, I am a 100% disabled...
I am a 100% disabled veteran from injuries in Vietnam. I was within two weeks of closing on a house in North Carolina when a fire caused major damage to part of the antebellum house. Paragraph 12 of the Purchase agreement states that the seller is responsible if the buyer wishes to have the sale completed, to include insurance proceeds. I have repeated my desire to complete the sale and am open to unavoidable changes. Based on the pending sale, I sold and vacated my house; stored my furniture; and have been living in a hotel for a month. I will continue to incur significant additional costs and the seller can't and won't do anything until all the inspections by the state and his insurance company regarding the fire are completed. Of course, I can't complete the financing until the house is repaired, unless the seller finances it. My question is: Is the seller only liable to pay me the insurance received? Or does he have to make up the difference between what his insurance company will pay and the actual amount lost? If we renegotiate the selling price, etc. to accommodate the changes, will I be in effect loosing my rights under paragraph 12?
Thank you,
Don
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/26/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question.

I do not understand the point about you being a disabled vet...how is that relevant to this ?

What what is paragraph 12?

Is this a VA loan?

1. Not being aware of what depth the help might be, I included that as a seller cannot legally discriminate one who is disabled.
2. I expected a North Carolina attorney who is familiar with the NC purchase agreement. Paragraph 12 deals with loss due to disaster.No, it isn't a VA loan. The VA would require that this National Register plantation mansion have fences put on all the porches and other such nonsense.

Thanks

Sorry for the confusion. I do VA claims work, I wanted to see if this was tied to a VA loan issue.

I have opted out to allow other attorneys to assist. I wish you the best through this

I have received absolutely no answer from anyone and I want my $36 back. Order ID: 16072316-517
Donald ****