How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 102355
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Father and I own a 10 acre parcel of vacant land in Mid

Customer Question

Hello, My name is***** and I own a 10 acre parcel of vacant land in Mid Michigan (Ogemaw county). He passed away last June and when I contacted the county register to have his name removed from the deed they informed me that he is listed as my wife on the deed. What is my course of action to have this issue corrected and have his name removed from the deed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

There seems to be an error in the title's history or verbiage. Someone in your situation will likely have to file a quick lawsuit in court known as a Quiet Title action. A quiet title asks the Court to clarify any issues with the chain of title, mistakes, and/or clouds in the history. See HERE for the statutory law on this. See HERE for a primer.

Counsel is recommended but not mandatory. Once the Court fixes the mistake via a judgment, then that judgment may be used to update the title records and remove the name as needed.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!

Related Real Estate Law Questions