Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

What documentation should Wells Fargo provide regarding

Customer Question
coming into my friends house...
What documentation should Wells Fargo provide regarding coming into my friends house when the mortgage is behind 3 months? Wells Fargo has been in my friends house twice starting when he was 90 days behind on the mortgage with no notice. What notice should they give my friend and how often can they come in?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/25/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Roger, Lawyer

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Your friend's lender has the right to drive by the premises to inspect it. But, the lender does not have the right to enter the premises without permission. IF they have done this, they'd be trespassing.

Wells Fargo is claiming that once it is 90 days behind in mortgage that they can come in at any time without notice to secure the property.

The loan papers may say that your friend has agreed to this....but that'd be the only way that it would be possible.

What state is this in?

Pennsylvania

Ok. Thanks. I just wanted to look at the law to see if there was any special provision about foreclosures in PA that would allow for this....and I don't see any such thing.

Here's a good link you can read: http://www.grimlaw.com/pages/gbt-articles/the-foreclosure-process-in-pennsylvania

Thus, your friend should ask the lender to provide him with the authority (written/documented proof) they claim gives them the right to enter his property when the loan is in default.....before the foreclosure process starts.

Roger, Lawyer