Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

I want to buy half interest in a house from a divorced

Customer Question

I want to buy half interest in a house from a divorced couple. The X husband wants to sale his half interest. To buy his equity share in a cash buyout. Will the house have to be reassessed after the transaction?
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me your email address, in case we get disconnected.
Customer:***@******.***
JA: Thanks. Are you ready to speak with the Real Estate Lawyer now?
Customer: Ok
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

The house here likely gets reassessed anytime there is a change in ownership.It is possible here to buy out his interest and also to force a sale through a suit for partition if you have to here.But there is a title change to you and this will cause reassessment by the tax assessor.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.