Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I want to buy half interest in a house from a divorced

Customer Question
I want to buy...

I want to buy half interest in a house from a divorced couple. The X husband wants to sale his half interest. To buy his equity share in a cash buyout. Will the house have to be reassessed after the transaction?

Lawyer's Assistant: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Please tell me your email address, in case we get disconnected.

Customer:***@******.***

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Are you ready to speak with the Real Estate Lawyer now?

Ok

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/24/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

The house here likely gets reassessed anytime there is a change in ownership.It is possible here to buy out his interest and also to force a sale through a suit for partition if you have to here.But there is a title change to you and this will cause reassessment by the tax assessor.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.