How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My landlady refuses to return my security deposit. I

Customer Question

My landlady refuses to return my security deposit. I requested that she outline why including copies of receipts. I left my rental as I found it. She claims I did not comply with terms. The lease did include a cleaning fee, but that leaves a large portion unaccounted for. What am I not seeing? The answers have typically been "review your emails."
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Other than filing a claim in small claims court, you could also contact the NY State Dept of Law, headed by the Attorney General. They accept tenant complaints involving security deposits. After a tenant files a complaint, the Attorney General will contact the landlord, providing him/her with the opportunity to reply. The Attorney General's approach is to mediate a resolution by informing the landlord of the obligations of the law and the Attorney General's authority to enforce the law. A landlord who has no damage claim against a former tenant, and who is merely trying to keep the deposit, may respond to this pressure. You can reach the Attorney General at(###) ###-####

Related Real Estate Law Questions