Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Texas Real Estate Law: Regarding Texas real estates escrow…

Customer Question
Texas Real Estate Law: Regarding Texas...
Texas Real Estate Law:
Regarding Texas real estates escrow accounts and agents... in lieu of using bigger title company i.e. American title or stewart title..etc.. are there escrow accounts and/or agents that could liaise between seller and buyer holding on to cash and contracts and such "very discreetly"?Thanks you in advance...Please help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/24/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Richard, Lawyer

Hi there. If there is no title policy being purchased, there is no legal requirement that a title company be used. Many times attorneys and or banks act as escrow agents to facilitate a closing. But, any person or entity trusted by both parties can act as an escrow agent in such a transaction.

there no need for licensing of any kind?

There is not.

Hi Richard,Earlier it was mentioned, thats "any person or entity trusted by both parties can act as an escrow agent in such a transaction."... can you help me understand this a little?.. so anyone can act as an escrow agent,Can anyone prepare closing documents in Texas?

Most people won't agree to do so because they are simply not set up to do so. Typically, if title companies are not used, it comes down to an attorney, CPA, or bank.

my associate has a affluent 'uncle' and both parties have agreed to have him act as a escrow agent... regarding closing the closing documents,they also have a family friend that knows how to prepared closing documents... she doesn't have any type license whatsoever .... is this sufficient?

Yes, that will suffice. :)

Richard, Lawyer