Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have provided many hours of sweat equity (cleaning and…

Customer Question
I have provided many hours...
I have provided many hours of sweat equity (cleaning and painting, etc)to a house that I will be renting effective next month. Should the landlord recognize the monetary value of my labor as a security deposit and if so, would I be entitled to refund of that amount upon satisfactory lease termination?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/24/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

You are essentially asking two questions here..

.

Should the landlord recognize your contributions?.... yes.

.

Are they legally obligated to do so without some agreement in place?....no.

.

So in the absence of any type of agreement to compensate you for your labor in terms of money that would be applied to pay for your deposit, you can't imply one because it would be "fair" to do so... If there is no agreement, then you have legally made a gift of your labor to the landlord and she would not be legally obligated to compensate you.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer