Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My name is ***** *****. My issue is regarding escrow checks

Customer Question
My name is ***** *****...
My name is ***** *****. My issue is regarding escrow checks in both my ex's name and mine. I have sole responsibility of paying for the house. I have sine refinanced into my name.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am divorced. The house was awarded to me without a stipulation to refinance. I have solely paid all expenses associated with the mortgage for three years. I refinanced the mortgage into my name only and my ex refuses to sign over the escrow refund check which is approximately 5000.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/24/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I'm sorry to hear that you are in this situation. You can do one of two things.

The first is try to provide all of the appropriate documentation regarding the divorce, etc. showing that you are solely responsible for the property and having them re-issue the refund only to you.

The second would be to go back to family court and file a motion requesting the judge enforce the marriage settlement agreement and require your ex to endorse the check to you.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would it be reasonable to request my attorney fees since he is unwilling to endorse the checks? What are the chances of it being awarded?

You can request your attorney's fees since he is making you go to court because he is refusing to endorse the check.

The changes are honestly 50/50. It is entirely up to the judge.

MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer