Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a home since 1998 about six years ago I added my

Customer Question
boyfriend to my deed we...
I have a home since 1998 about six years ago I added my boyfriend to my deed we recently did a modification with the loan company, they put my boyfriends name on the new mortgage but not mines. They said we have to be married in order for my name to go on the mortgage. Is they true my name is ***** ***** the deed. What can I do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/23/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

They said we have to be married in order for my name to go on the mortgage. Is they true my name is ***** ***** the deed. What can I do.

.

That is absolutely untrue. There is nothing that requires people to be married to be on a mortgage together, parents and children do it all the time.. So they are simply lying to you. But if the loan is already done, then you would have to refi again with another lender to be put on the mortgage since this loan is completed.

.

But legally, if you aren't on the mortgage, then you aren't legally liable for the debt any longer if you didn't sign the Note to repay the debt. The lender can only hold the person on the mortgage note liable for repayment. So at this point, you are on the deed as a half owner, but are not responsible for repaying the debt.

.

.

thanks