Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My contract with my realtor has expired. I had one

Customer Question
My contract with my realtor...
My contract with my realtor has expired. I had one interested party the realtor brought to my home. If he comes back and wants to buy at a later date? do I have to go thru realtor?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/23/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Richard, Lawyer

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

It's going to depend upon the terms of your listing agreement, but if you signed a standard listing agreement without making any changes, it's going to have a provision giving the realtor a period of protection that provides that if you contract with someone to whom the realtor showed the house within a certain period after the listing agreement terminates, you will owe the realtor a commission. That period is usually 90 days. If your listing agreement does not have such a provision, then you would have no legal obligation to pay the realtor any commission.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!