How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55294
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do I need to do to remove my ex husbands name from the

Customer Question

What do I need to do to remove my ex husbands name from the title on my house? I paid for the home (I have no mortgage) and he is compliant to the change and willing to remove his name.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good evening Frances. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

What you will need for your ex-husband to do is sign a quit claim deed transferring all of his ownership interest in the house to you. The deed needs to be notarized and then recorded in the real property records of the city/county in which the property is located. That's it! If you need a template for the quit claim deed, just let me know and I'll be happy to provide one for you. :)

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I filled out a Quick Claim Deed and he signed it but they said I have to have an attorney sign. I'm confused.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for following up. There is no legal requirement that an attorney sign a quit claim deed. Once it is signed by your ex-husband as the grantor and notarized, it is a legally binding document that can be recorded in the real property records.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I tried to accept your proposal for a phone call, but received the following information: Payment for this service failed, please do not fulfill yet. We will attempt to reach this customer to fix the situation.