Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

What do I need to do to remove my ex husbands name from the…

Customer Question
What do I need to...
What do I need to do to remove my ex husbands name from the title on my house? I paid for the home (I have no mortgage) and he is compliant to the change and willing to remove his name.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/23/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Richard, Lawyer

Good evening Frances. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

What you will need for your ex-husband to do is sign a quit claim deed transferring all of his ownership interest in the house to you. The deed needs to be notarized and then recorded in the real property records of the city/county in which the property is located. That's it! If you need a template for the quit claim deed, just let me know and I'll be happy to provide one for you. :)

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

I filled out a Quick Claim Deed and he signed it but they said I have to have an attorney sign. I'm confused.

Thanks for following up. There is no legal requirement that an attorney sign a quit claim deed. Once it is signed by your ex-husband as the grantor and notarized, it is a legally binding document that can be recorded in the real property records.

I tried to accept your proposal for a phone call, but received the following information: Payment for this service failed, please do not fulfill yet. We will attempt to reach this customer to fix the situation.

Richard, Lawyer