Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We are having issues with our HOA's Architectual committee…

Customer Question
Hi, We are having issues...
Hi, We are having issues with our HOA's Architectual committee to allow us to build a shed on our 1/2 acre parcel. I have read nothing in the articles that tell us size limitations. It's all up to their discretion. Since being denied, the HOA has built a larger than normal shed on the common area. I believe that has set a precidence to the HOA. I have been told by the president, we are still not allowed. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/22/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon Cammie,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I empathize with your situation. Unfortunately, under WA law the HOA common area is different from the area that you own, and the HOA is legally allowed to build what they want to on common property, and at the same time they may still limit or prevent you from building a similar structure on your property. Just as many HOA's have a community pool and clubhouse, that does not give the individual members the right to build similar structures on their property.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug