Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My question is in reference to an eviction. I was served an…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** my question is in reference to an eviction.

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I was served an eviction citation with no warning no previous notice to vacate.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/22/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Abelardo Arias,
 replied 2 years ago
Abelardo Arias

Hi Billijean. What State are you in? Did the eviction notice give any indication of what court or when the court issued an order?

I'm in Texas and the court date has been set for the 3rd of March.
I wasn't given any notice that they wanted me gone, the landlord is a bully and I lived here 4months through the winter without a water heater and now no electricity on one side of the trailer.
I forgot to mention we never signed s lease but the eviction order days breach of contract, I have text msg where I have repeatedly asked for a lease and receipts
Real Estate Lawyer: Abelardo Arias,
 replied 2 years ago

Unfortunately it sounds like you are in a month-to-month rental situation because no lease was signed prior to your moving in. In a month-to-month the landlord can issue a legal notice to quit. However, you do have your day in court. I recommend that you go to court on March 3rd and explain your situation to the Judge. Likewise, talk to the landlord or their attorney for enough time for you to find another place. If they will not work with you then ask the court for sufficient time. You can also find out if there is a reason why the landlord wants you out (for example, nonpayment of rent, creating disturbances, etcetera). If you can work out your differences then ask for a lease. If you can't then your best bet is to ask for more time so you are no evicted as soon as the landlord wants.

I hope this helps. If you need a clarification let me know.

[Disclaimer: this response does not establish a lawyer-client relationship or legal advice under law.]