Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm divorced, but in the house reminded in both our names…

Customer Question
I'm divorced, but in the...
I'm divorced, but in the house reminded in both our names until sold. Instead of making the mortgage payments as ordered, my ex filed for bankruptcy. My question is I would like to keep the house, there is a 2nd mortgage on the home that is just in my ex's name. Can I be responsible for that second mortgage or would he be responsible for it, or could the bank have to eat the 2nd.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/22/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

How did a lender make a mortgage on the jointly owned property without you agreeing?

Loren, Lawyer