Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My father just passed away, Just found out from my younger

Customer Question

My father just passed away, Just found out from my younger sister that my mom passed away last year. the lawyer in CA told the Executor of my fathers will that there was a chance that we would have to pay bills if we didn't sign the house over to My younger sister.
Something about CA law and the fact that my father left my mom in the 1980's and that my mom had paid all the mortgage payments since then allowed her to be repaid for all the money she had paid into the house since then, I was under the impression that we would sell the house and divide the money?? Or is there a circumstance where my mom would have been intitled to most of the money? I assume my mom left her 1/2 to my younger sister who currently lives in this house. This would give her 1/2 and leave the other 1/2 to split between my older sister and myself?? Or??? What are our options??
Also, My father did not leave, my mom moved back to this house from Canada, So she actually left him.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

My condolences for your loss.

Is the house titled to your late mother? Did your mother leave a will directing the house be left to her children?

Which bills are you referring to which need payment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just found out through a search that My younger sister (April l. Denny) received a portion or all not sure, probably a portion, as my dad was still alive at the date of the Trust Transfer Deed, dated 10-21-15. Are we ( older sister and myself ) liable to the expenses incurred on this property over the years? Or do we tell her we wish to sell this and split the proceeds? The Lawyer April gave the phone # ***** " Mom's Lawyer" she wrote on a face book message. Told Carla Miller ( Executor for my dad) If we
that there was probably no money in the property an that we would end up owing if we did not sign this property over to April?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Was the property transferred to your sister while your father was living?

Is there an estate pending in probate? What expenses are you referring to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me get in touch with Carla Miller (executor for my Dad) she is the one who talked with the lawyer in CA. Carla lives in Canada, I am in Oregon, so let me ask some more questions of this lawyer in CA. thru Carla and I will get back to you. If you have some questions I should ask, let me know so I can ask the correct questions and settle this issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the Trust Transfer was done while Dad was alive, but he was not notified.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

What are the expenses you are worried about having liability for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a clue, I will have to do further investigation with the CA Lawyer, and get back to you as I said before. I don't know if it a scare tactic used by the lawyer in CA, or the estate has liabilities against it. I did not speak with this lawyer in CA. SO I will have to see what she is claiming as expenses we would have to pay? ! Then I will get back to you.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Ok