Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My father just passed away, Just found out from my younger…

Customer Question
My father just passed away...
My father just passed away, Just found out from my younger sister that my mom passed away last year. the lawyer in CA told the Executor of my fathers will that there was a chance that we would have to pay bills if we didn't sign the house over to My younger sister.
Something about CA law and the fact that my father left my mom in the 1980's and that my mom had paid all the mortgage payments since then allowed her to be repaid for all the money she had paid into the house since then, I was under the impression that we would sell the house and divide the money?? Or is there a circumstance where my mom would have been intitled to most of the money? I assume my mom left her 1/2 to my younger sister who currently lives in this house. This would give her 1/2 and leave the other 1/2 to split between my older sister and myself?? Or??? What are our options??
Also, My father did not leave, my mom moved back to this house from Canada, So she actually left him.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/21/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

My condolences for your loss.

Is the house titled to your late mother? Did your mother leave a will directing the house be left to her children?

Which bills are you referring to which need payment?

I just found out through a search that My younger sister (April l. Denny) received a portion or all not sure, probably a portion, as my dad was still alive at the date of the Trust Transfer Deed, dated 10-21-15. Are we ( older sister and myself ) liable to the expenses incurred on this property over the years? Or do we tell her we wish to sell this and split the proceeds? The Lawyer April gave the phone # ***** " Mom's Lawyer" she wrote on a face book message. Told Carla Miller ( Executor for my dad) If we
that there was probably no money in the property an that we would end up owing if we did not sign this property over to April?

Was the property transferred to your sister while your father was living?

Is there an estate pending in probate? What expenses are you referring to?

Let me get in touch with Carla Miller (executor for my Dad) she is the one who talked with the lawyer in CA. Carla lives in Canada, I am in Oregon, so let me ask some more questions of this lawyer in CA. thru Carla and I will get back to you. If you have some questions I should ask, let me know so I can ask the correct questions and settle this issue.
the Trust Transfer was done while Dad was alive, but he was not notified.

What are the expenses you are worried about having liability for?

I don't have a clue, I will have to do further investigation with the CA Lawyer, and get back to you as I said before. I don't know if it a scare tactic used by the lawyer in CA, or the estate has liabilities against it. I did not speak with this lawyer in CA. SO I will have to see what she is claiming as expenses we would have to pay? ! Then I will get back to you.

Ok