Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I purchased a property from someone. he was to provide a…

Customer Question
I purchased a property from...
I purchased a property from someone. he was to provide a clean time for closing but has not. The title is clear he just refuses to close but I already occupy the property through a use agreement of sorts in the expectation of ultimately buying it. Ivepaid the taxes now for almost one year and the seller actually told the tax office to change the name of the taxes so they can send them directly to me. He did this by drafting a letter stating the property was changing hands and that I was the new owner and just has't made good yet
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/20/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation. Your ultimate remedy is to sue the seller for breach of contract and "quiet title" (the legal cause of action to settle ownership of real property), but short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.

He hasn't responded to any letters from the attorney or form the title company so I'm sure the court will not be successful nor a mediator what is the other option

Filing a lawsuit in court.

(He cannot hide or ignore the court, if he does, you will get your judgment "by default").

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer