How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41600
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father past away last year, he had a reverse mortgage,

Customer Question

My father past away last year, he had a reverse mortgage, I'm the heir to his estate the house is in my name. Reverse mortgage what me to send to them my letter of authority to them, they want me to pay them 95% of the current appraised value of the property, plus any interest or applicable fees/cost? Want should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

If the house was deeded to you then a certified copy of the deed here would be proof of ownership.You would then be able to pay off the loan here.If you don't want the house here you can ignore them and they would just foreclose and take back the house.You aren't on the reverse mortgage here so you aren't liable.But they have lien on the property and can foreclose.

You are probably better off letting it go here because the house really isn't worth what the amount of the loan is.You can ask them here for cash for keys if you are planning on letting it go back.This is a cash sum to leave within 30 days it can be say $1-$2k.Otherwise it will take them multiple months to foreclose, you may have form 3-6 months rent free here.You would be served with eviction suit and a court date and you know then this is your date to be out.

The lien here is superior to title.The lien goes with it, you have to pay it off or let it go.These are your options.

I am so sorry for your loss of parent, please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.