How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 29978
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in a Subsidized housing complex and a new Manager has

Customer Question

I live in a Subsidized housing complex and a new Manager has come and found some unnamed survey comparison to raise my rent by $55 dollars a month. A lot of other people have had our rent raised by him too. My income has not gone up one dime since I was paying $350 a month. And now he is trying to quote some other unnamed surveys to try and take away our heating and air-conditioning kilowatt subsides. everyone here is on fixed incomes and it's hurting us financially a lot! what can we do to stop him from making our burdens even harder to manage.?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Do you have a lease for a set term, or are you month to month? How much notice did they give you that they were increasing the rent? What state do you live in?

Are the heating and air-conditioning subsidies in the lease - is that something you get from your landlord?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Month to month----Live in Missouri-- a couple of months notice--New rate reduction on kilowatt reduction will take effect April 1st if he gets it by the board of curators.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

If they gave you sufficient notice on a month to month lease, they unfortunately ARE allowed to raise the rent under normal circumstances. However, because you're in subsidized housing, you should call your local housing authority. Usually, the way subsidized housing works is that the government decides how much you can afford to pay, and they pay the difference. The landlord can't just raise the rent without violating the contract they have with the housing authority. So that's your first step. It's possible that the government will step in and take action. You could also try talking to local news outlets about the way your apartment manager is exploiting poor tenants and see if that helps put some pressure on them to back off. The board of curators might get scared if news stations and the public weigh in on what they're doing.

If the housing authority can't help you, then the way for you (and your neighbors) to protest the way you're being treated is to give 30 days notice and move. It's not too late for you to vacate before the subsidies are decreased on April 1, as long as you give notice first. I know moving can be expensive, but they can't make you stay just so they can take advantage of you. If you decide to keep living there, what you're saying is that you agree with what they're doing.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.