Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I represent a client who wishes to file chapter 7 bankruptcy…

Customer Question
I represent a client who...
I represent a client who wishes to file chapter 7 bankruptcy in Florida. He was recently divorced and the settlement agreement provides that his ex wife occupy one of the homes as her homestead while he occupies the other as his homestead. He apoears as co owner in both properties.Can the trustee go after his 50 percent interest in the ex wifes homestead if he files?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/19/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA.Ray here to help you tonight.

It depends here if she was awarded title, if so he can quit claim it to her and avoid having them claim a half interest.The decree/settlement has to award her title here not possession.If that was the case he can quit claim it.

If it remains jointly owned here and its no longer his homestead then they can pursue his interest. It would be better if he quit claimed it to her here.Thats the best way to avoid the trustee forcing a sale here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again for the chance to do so.