How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel-II Your Own Question
Samuel-II, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  real estate law
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Samuel-II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend offered me to pay off her mortgage. In exchange I

Customer Question

Hi, my friend offered me to pay off her mortgage. In exchange I would like partial ownership of the house. I am a Canadian citizen. Is this legally possible? The second question is if I help rebuild her house from a one story to a two story house, what is the legal procedure?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We live on Grovespring Dr. Rancho Palos Verdes. Does this area allow us to build a two-story?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I suggest there is nothing illegal about you being an owner of property in the US. Be sure you are placed on the Deed and you get a copy once it has been recorded reflecting you as a joint owner.

As to the establishment of a second story, you need to check with your county zoning office. I cannot get that information online. But the county zoning office in your area will provide you with information about limits on height, if any, and also what permits need to be pulled to complete the work. If you are going to hire a contractor, they will know what permits they will need.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a positive rating ensures I get credit for my time and information in this regard.