Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Texas Real estate: I am selling a home in Texas to a

Customer Question
Revocable Trust (RV), for cash...
Texas Real estate: I am selling a home in Texas to a Revocable Trust (RV), for cash. What are all the documents I would sign and get copies of? and would the name of the Trust or trustee be on the contract?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/18/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: KLAW, Arbitrator replied 2 years ago
KLAW
KLAW, Arbitrator

Good morning. If you are selling your home you can sell it to a trust and the trust itself will be named in the deed as the buyer, as "XYZTrust".

At the settlement you will be given a copy of the deed, which transfers the property from the you to the buyer. seller to the buyer. The deed is given and filed with the county recorder of deeds to record.

You ou will also sign a real estate contract which transfers the property that is being sold along with the house, and other items in the house such as furnaces, air conditioners, appliances, light fixtures, window treatments, security systems, antenna, or cable or dish TV equipment, from the seller to the buyer. The document will typically list the property to be transferred, or refer to the contract that lists the personal property.

You will also sign a sellers affidavit. lt is a sworn, notarized statement by the you confirming ownership of the property and describing any known title defects such as leases, liens, or work on the property that could potentially create liens, boundary line disputes, or outstanding contracts for the sale of the property.

You will also sign tax transfer documents. In many states, counties, and municipal governments charge real property transfer taxes and require you the buyer and seller to sign declarations disclosing the purchase price and calculating the tax.

You will get copies of all of these at the settlement. I hope this helps with your question.

Anything else, just ask.

Prior to the trust decided to pay cash, it was a 'financing' situation however, as the date neared for closing there where were a few items that needed to be addressed by the buyer.. so the closing date was pushed back twice. should the extension of loan closing date be included? and do I get copies of that also?

Good evening. The extension of the loan and the outstanding items should be written out and a date for completion/extension of the closing date should be included in the correspondence.

KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Arbitrator