How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 29979
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in a contract to purchase a home. The seller refuses to

Customer Question

I am in a contract to purchase a home. The seller refuses to sell the house to me or fix any items that were in the contract. What can I do. What are my remedies.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

There is a specific remedy that is frequently used in real estate cases called "specific performance." A judge can actually ORDER the owner to sell the house and comply with the contract. This remedy is used when a person cannot be made whole by monetary damages. All real estate is considered unique by law (even if it's in a development of similar properties). You will be considered to be irreparably harmed if the seller is allowed to avoid selling you the house.

The judge CAN also order the owner to make the repairs, but that's less likely, for two reasons: One, you won't be irreparably harmed if you pay someone else to do it and the seller pays for that. Two, if the seller does it, because he's already upset, he could do a shoddy job. The judge doesn't want to put you in a position to have to sue again later to get the work fixed. If you have estimates or ideas of what the work with cost, the inspection report, contracts, pictures, anything like that, you can ask that the seller be made to pay for those repairs - OR, you can have the judge order that you be allowed to deduct the costs from your sales price. The decision is up to you. It comes down largely to whether you're going to have to give the seller cash at the closing and you'd rather use that cash for repairs, plus the likelihood of being able to collect a judgment from the seller later (which can be time consuming and frustrating).

You also have the ability to file what is called a "lis pendens" with the county, which puts other potential buyers on notice that there's a dispute over this house and a lawsuit pending. Most people don't want to buy a lawsuit, so that's going to help ensure that the seller doesn't try to sell the property to someone else before you get your judgment. A local attorney can help with both drafting the Complaint and the lis pendens, or you can visit a law library to look at books with samples.

This site has a sample lis pendens, which may help:

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Real Estate Law Questions