Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I pastored a small church yrs in Waco Tx. I had a stroke and…

Customer Question
I pastored a small church...
I pastored a small church for 10 yrs in Waco Tx. I had a stroke and had to close church and put it for sale as per our Board and congregations wishes. The 10 yrs I pastored I never received a salary or any other type of compensation. The congregation consisted mostly of widowed women and children. I was not pastoring for money, I felt a calling and had to be obedient to God. Now I have sold the church and the bank made the ck out in church's name and in my name. I have been to bank who has our funds and who issued the draft, but they will not cash it since the church no longer exists. Two other banks have told us practically the same thing. Can you please tell me what to do? Thank you and God bless you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/17/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Did you ever get a DBA (fictitious name license) for the church, or, was the church a non-profit corporation?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!