Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

I want to fly my American flag in my condo unit and I am

Customer Question

I want to fly my American flag in my condo unit and I am told no because of their rules Can I get help on this
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. You are protected by both Federal and Florida state law.

On the Federal level, under the Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005, no condo, co-op, or homeowner association can restrict its owners from displaying the U.S. flag on their property; provided, your association may place reasonable restrictions on the time, place, and manner of the display to protect a "substantial" interest of the association.

On the state level, Florida Statute 720.304 provides as follows:

(2)(a) Any homeowner may display one portable, removable United States flag or official flag of the State of Florida in a respectful manner, and one portable, removable official flag, in a respectful manner, not larger than 41/2 feet by 6 feet, which represents the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard, or a POW-MIA flag, regardless of any covenants, restrictions, bylaws, rules, or requirements of the association.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!