Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My landlord sold my business location to a person knowing…

Customer Question
My landlord sold my business...
My landlord sold my business location to a person knowing that they wanted to occupy the building after purchase, we had 2 year lease and for the past 6 month we been month to month, new buyer wants me to move out within 4 months, we have created videos and spent thousands of dollars on on line marketing with this address as main contact and keyword. We are located in Southern California, do I have any rights?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/17/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I realize that this stinks, but legally you are just a month to month tenant since your lease expired and either party can terminate the tenancy with proper notice. So since this is commercial property, either party can give a 30 day written notice to terminate the tenancy.

.

If you didn't vacate within that 30 days, then the landlord would have to file an unlawful detainer eviction in court to force you to vacate. This takes about 3-4 weeks after the 30 day expires..

.

Unfortunately you have no legal right to force the landlord to continue to rent to you if he chooses not to under a month to month tenancy.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer