Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am an owner of a condo unit I have read the rules as to…

Customer Question
I am an owner of...
I am an owner of a condo unit I have read the rules as to parking and guest parking ..we are expected to get a parking pass for guests.
I have had a guest who visits maybe 3 non consecutive nights a week and maintains a parking pass. Recently after parking over a weekend we had a notice it isn't supposed to be there..said it was too big for lot..it is a passenger van 18.6" in length..the rules say it cannot exceed 18.8"..the management company didn't have a problem. But the president and one other board member want it to be to not be Parked ever in the lot..they do not provide a specified place to park trucks and vans they don't allow..they recommend a grocery parkinglot 2 miles away..what are my rights to correct this? I've been having this guest over for 9 months and even talked with security that told me it was fine..Its 2-3 nights a week maximum and always had a parking pass from day 1..but the president won't even have civil conversation about it with me to resolve this matter
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/17/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon Jennifer,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Quite simply, you are in the right! Unless and Until the Condo Association amends the By-Laws of the association, the President is obligated to abide by the rules as they are, and regardless of his/her personal preferences, if the "vehicle" does not exceed the 18'8" regulation, then you cannot be forced to park it off the property.

You need do nothing. If you park it in the area and it is towed by the association, then you have a meritorious lawsuit against them for the coat as well as interference with personal property. You are in the right, and the President and Board are in the wrong.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney