Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I got a buying a house papers from office depot. Made legal…

Customer Question
I got a buying a...
I got a buying a house papers from office depot. Made legal and no tories 3 years ago, paid payments monthly as per ten year agreement. I was moving to washington wanting to sublet house while I planned on being a snowbird and maintain my residence there. I never filed paperwork. The previous owner that was "carrying loan" ordered me out of HIS house.
I put easily 20,000 in repairs and increase to value in upgrades. I left October 1st. He still has some of my furniture. I can't find notoriety paperwork. Do I have any legal rights
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/17/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

Unfortunately these "land purchase contracts" (or "carrying paper" or "owner financed") transactions are inherently risky - both sides (both buyer and seller) seem to wind up with a lot of legal problems.

As a bona fide buyer, with actual documentation to support your purchase, you should hire a local civil litigation attorney (right away). (I fully understand that customers do not come to this site to be told "go hire a lawyer" but I want to tell you why I give this advice for your specific question here).

Your seller is engaged in fraud, and very likely has some mortgages out on the property that need to be dealt with - so you not only have to fend off the seller, but also any of his creditors associated with the property as well.

You do have rights (you bought the property), but you must work swiftly to protect yourself, and hiring a lawyer now will reduce your overall costs of having to defend the action.

You can find local property law or civil litigation attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).