Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Buying house in sc can the mtge co come after you if you…

Customer Question
buying house in sc can...
buying house in sc can the mtge co come after you if you foreclose
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/16/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What you are asking about is called deficiency. A deficiency judgment lawsuit is a type of action that is filed against an ex-owner after the lender forecloses on the property, seeking the difference between (a) what the owner owed on the loan and (b) what the home sold for.

South Carolina does allow the lender to seek deficiencies if they specifically include the right to do so in the mortgage contract. Most do include this verbiage. Whether or not the lender would actually pursue a deficiency is up to them - some do not.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.