How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We bought a mobile on land on sep 2014, in Tehama County,

Customer Question

we bought a mobile on land on sep 2014, in Tehama County, CA, and were told that the serial number on the permitted mobile, doesn't match the number registered with the county. we thought it was a misprint, as the mobile has been permitted since 1982. recently, we have decided to sell the property, and when in escrow, we had to strip skirting around the mobile, to find the accurate serial, and according to the title company & housing dep. last activity on the title was in 1981, and the legal owners of the mobile home,
Both R\O and L\O were contacted by the title company, with no replies.
we were told by the housing department that the only way to get the title now, is though
petitioning abandonment to the court, after getting a tax clearance from Merced county, CA, were the mobile was last registered under the right serial.
Tehama county has records of the mobile being on the land since 1982, and has a photo on file that shows mobile with addition dated 1989 at the latest. property and mobile are taxed and up to date on taxes.
we wrote to Merced County Tax office, asking how to get the tax clearance, and got no reply. we need help with how to get the Tax clearance, and how to proceed and get the title for the mobile home. (1973 suncrest, 2\1, with little value).
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your specific question for us on this matter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How to get a tax clearance from Merced County, CA, for a mobile home that was last registered with them at 1981?
how do we proceed with petitioning abandonment to get legal title on the mobile home on our land?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
You need to file what is called a petition to quiet title and you need to prove how you came into ownership, a bill of sale and proof of living on the property, such that the court can rule that you are the legal owner and order the title to be changed to reflect that.
You should use a local attorney to file the petition to quiet title, to make sure it gets done properly, as the former owners who are on the title need to be served and it can be tricky if they cannot be located and you need to file a motion for service by publication and these forms are not part of the forms that the CA courts make available on their site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no bill of sale, the mobile was on the property we purchased. And the owners of the property are not the registered owner. it was not theirs sell. What other proof than bill of sale? We have been paying taxes on the property, have power through PGE in our name, and is our legal residence. What proof of living there is ample? And how do we get a tax clearance from Merced county so that we can file petition?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
our real estate contract was a land purchase with mobile home, two apn's transferred to us(one for land, one for mobile). However the title company would not cover the mobile and only insured the property title, which we have deed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any idea on attourney fees or total cost to gain title?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Since you acquired the property and the mobile home was abandoned on the property, you have to provide proof of your legal acquisition of the property and argue that as it has been abandoned and stored on your property you are entitled to either the mobile home or payment for the time the home was on your property.
Generally, the cost of something like this is about $1500 or so