Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Looking on how to protect my house and assets if i need to…

Customer Question
Looking for info on...

Looking for info on how to protect my house and assets if i need to sign a personal guarantee on a commercial lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

So i have a LLC and we are looking to open a location where they want me to sign a personal guarantee. i am married and they only are requiring me to sign the guarantee and not my wife. if i sign it, and were to default can they seize my assets (house) if it is in my wife and my name? and can they garnish wages as I work a corporate job as well?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
i am in north carolina by the way.
2/16/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

Your house would be protected up to any homestead exemption allowable by the state. I believe that is $35,000. Many people put their home and personal assets in a living trust as a way to protect those assets. They can only go after the assets after the LLC defaults and after filing suit against you and winning. so you have the ability to fight the lawsuit. However, I would suggest talking to a local estate planning attorney about setting up a living trust. Now that you are running your own LLC, it may be prudent to protect your personal assets in case the LLC loses a lawsuit against a customer, vendor, or other party it does business with.

is it true though that if my wife did not sign the guarantee and the home is in both of our names, they cannot take or leverage the house in any way?

That would prevent them from foreclosing on the house but they could put a lien on it most likely.