Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My husband owns a home in Lowell Ma, and he is the only

Customer Question
person on the mortgage loan...
My husband owns a home in Lowell Ma, and he is the only person on the mortgage loan. He bought it before we met. He may have to foreclose on the loan. Together we just bought a house in Florida, both of us are on the loan. I also own a home in NH and I am the only one on the loan. Can the banks come after me or my property, or the house in Florida we own together?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/15/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

Has your husband spoken to the bank about the possibility of negotiating a deed in lieu of foreclosure or a short sale?

No

Thank you for the additional information.

You individually owned property is not subject to attachment for your husband's debt. Additionally, Florida law is very creditor unfriendly. So, it is unlikely that property is at risk either.

Your husband should make contact with the lender if his position becomes untenable. If the bank will accept a deed in lieu he will be released from any further liability.

Are you online with me?

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.